Wednesday, December 10, 2008

IP&T WEEK 15-Watching Internet Safety Videos

Before class on Thursday we are required to spend 60 minutes watching videos about how to keep kids safe on the internet. We are then supposed to write about the most important things we learn.
The first video I watched was from isafe.org on privacy and the internet. On this video it says that there is virtually no internet sites that secure your privacy. You are at risk of loosing your privacy on the internet. Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the U.S. Avoid giving out personal information over the internet. Don't pay with a credit card on the internet unless you know the site is safe. Look for an s after the http or a padlock symbol at the bottom of the computer screen. That tells you the site is secure. Avoid putting your social security number on the internet at all costs! Less is more... Be safe!
The second video I watched was from isafe.org about cyber relationships. One risk with meeting people online is that you don't really know who you are talking to. You are at risk for Cyber stalking, unwanted sexual harassment, or sexual solicitations. If this happens to you report it. They can be tracked. Predators on the internet go through the grooming process to lure in their prey. They usually start communication in a chat room. They appear to be a sympathetic friend. They are sneaky! Never agree to meet anyone! Don't give out any identifying information on the web especially when chatting. Look for Red flags! If you are cyber harassed or stalking it needs to be reported. Tell you parents and contact local law authorities. Report it at www.cybertipline.com.
The third video I watched was from isafe.org about intellectual property theft. This is illegally downloading music, videos, and other materials.
The fourth video I watched was from isafe.org about malicious code. There are about 70,000 known computer viruses!! Holy moly! The fifth video is from isafe.org about cyber citizenship. I learned about the microdot used to send messages by taking a picture containing a secret message and shrinking it down to the size of a period and placing it at the end of a sentence.
Next I watched the documentary from PBS and frontline. Kids now are growing up online. We need to be aware of what is going on because there are a lot of things they can easily hide.
I learned so much from watching these videos. I will keep this information in mind when I become a teacher and parent. I will teach my students to be safe when they use the internet. As a parent I will keep a close eye on what my children are doing online. I think the most important thing for parents and teachers is to be involved and aware!

No comments: